The weight loss methods and healthy lifestyle interventions Profile by Sanford uses were heavily studied and evaluated by top researchers and physicians at Sanford Health. The weight loss success that over 180,000 Profile members have seen further proves the science behind the Profile program works. Here is what the studies that back Profile say:
- Those who work with a Profile health coach lose 3 times more weight than people that try to lose weight by themselves, even when using apps or books as support.1
- Individuals see the greatest weight loss when they follow a program like Profile that pairs health coaching support with meal replacements.2
- Profile’s tailored nutrition education (journey mapping) improves dietary quality of adults long-term.3
- Research shows that the 1-on-1 health coaching Profile offers is an effective strategy to help individuals manage chronic conditions as well as improve physiological, behavioral, and psychological conditions.4
Additionally, a study was done to see how the lifestyle interventions of the Profile program benefit patients with type 2 diabetes. The research found:
- A significant decrease in medication usage. In fact, diabetic drug savings for Sanford Health Plan was approximately $4,000 per month with a total drug savings of $48,000 per year for the 38 individuals with type 2 diabetes that participated.
- Average weight loss for the 38 participants was 14.4 lbs with an average BMI reduction of 1.8 points.
The Result of Type 2 Patients Following Profile
Sanford Health Plan (SHP) partnered with Profile to see if lifestyle intervention could benefit 38 individuals with type 2 diabetes. As a result, SHP saw tremendous savings on diabetic drugs.
A Handy Portion Size Guide [Downloadable]
Our popular portion guide is a great example of Profile's education resources. The guide explains what a portion size is vs. a serving size. It also includes practical methods for measuring portions.
The Role of a Profile Health Coach
We discuss in-depth the key role our health coaches play in sustainable, effective weight loss. You'll also learn the science behind why people lose 3x more weight when they work with a health coach.
1.) Gudzune, K.A., Doshi, R.S., Mehta, A.K., et al. (2015). Ef_cacy of commercial weight-loss programs: an updated systematic review. Annals of Internal Medicine, 162(7):501-512.
2.) Astbury, N. M., Piernas, C., Hartmann-Boyce, J., Lapworth, S., Aveyard, P., & Jebb, S. A. (2019). A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effectiveness of meal replacements for weight loss. Obesity Reviews, 20(4), 569-587.
3.) Eyles, H. C., & Mhurchu, C. N. (2009). Does tailoring make a difference? A systematic review of the long-term effectiveness of tailored nutrition education for adults. Nutrition reviews, 67(8), 464-480.
4.) Kivel.,, K., Elo, S., Kyng.s, H., & K..ri.inen, M. (2014). The effects of health coaching on adult patients with chronicdiseases: a systematic review. Patient education and counseling, 97(2), 147-157.